Sunday, October 7, 2012

Double life

Life is big, nuanced, complicated....multi-dimensional, you could say.
When I think about a typical shabbat/Saturday for me, it can feel very dichotomous at times. I can be in a synagogue in the morning sitting in a separate women's section with a wooden divide between the genders, then I will be at a lunch with no less than 15 people in a dining room with an obscene amount of food (and children) and no electrical appliances or screens being used. So- for all the mothers out there- imagine 12 boys in your house with no electrical distractions (babysitters). After lunch, I will take my kids to the synagogue afterwards for youth groups that teach my kids more Torah and Zionism.
After sundown, however, is when the shift happens.
Take last night. Shabbat went as planned, as we always do. 24 hours of complete Judaic immersion. After sundown, I headed over to a friend from works 70s themed 40th birthday party. My work people are a group of women (mostly) who I spend more time with than my family, and certainly my jewish community people. These women are awesome. I mean it. Really really kick-ass awesome. Pediatric oncology chicks who work hard and play hard. We bitch and moan, we laugh at sick shit, we cry at work, we drink a lot, we take care of very sick kids who sometimes die despite it all, we drink a lot, we talk about our husbands/boyfriends/lack thereof, we talk about our kids, we talk about our bowel movements, we talk about how underpaid we are, we talk and talk and talk...
The birthday girl last night is a pediatric oncologist who works like a horse, often emailing and writing at 3:30 in the morning. She goes to bat for patients with the energy and determination of a raging bull. She's a machine. And here she was decked out in a gold sequenced tank top and leggings dancing to ABBA and karaoking "Bobby McGhee" at the top of her lungs. I, personally, paid homage to Stevie Nicks and did an extremely loud, drunken version of "Go Your Own Way".  At this party, there was no divider between men and women, no mention of religion, no discussing which presidential candidate will be better for the State of Israel, no complaining of how many days we have to take off from work and how much food we have to cook...again.
In a period of 24 hours, I live in 2 separate worlds. I'm comfortable in both. There are irritating things in both. Sometimes, I would like to totally walk away from both.
I can't imagine only living in one of these worlds. I need them both.


No comments: