Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Runners High

Friends of mine who run or exercise regularly like to recite the following mantra:
"I looove to run/zumba/do pilates....it makes me feel so accomplished. I get such a high from it."
I'm calling bullshit on all of that.
At least for me. When I exercise, which is about as frequent as never, the only high I get is the elation I feel when it's over. The accomplishment I feel is knowing I didn't die.
My brother-in-law once asked if I got a "walkers medium"....and No, I don't even get that. I sure as shit never, not once, have gotten a runners high.

But you know what does make me feel accomplished? Like really fulfilled and good deep in my gut?

Finding the source of the foul smell in my fridge and getting rid of it. Same for my car. Finding that cup of curdled milk that rolled right between the metal legs of the back row of seats in the vangina and then extricating it.
Building a high chair.
Peeing on a dry toilet seat with no one knocking on the door or calling my name.
Spraying clorox on any surface.
Filling up bags of clothing for Goodwill.
Birthing a child.
Crossing off things on a to-do list.
Waking up at 6:30 am and realize that all my little people slept through the night.
Grooming my offspring. Combing their hair, bathing them, de-lousing them.
Eating a normal portion of clean food. Not wanting to puke after a meal.
Finishing a kick-ass book.

Running just makes me ache.


* Reminder: If you like this blog, go to the top corner and "Join this Site". Thanks*


No comments: